Sunday, September 11, 2016

GT Oyster Bar

Chicago is a great food town and I've been lucky to have dined at many in my short time here. This weekend, I went to GT Oyster Bar in River North. On a date. A first date.

Let's just say the restaurant will definitely get a second date. The guy, not so much, but that's an entirely different blog post. So, I figured I'd share a few highlights from the evening.

  1. The grilled zucchini small plate was a stand out. With the crispy maitake mushrooms and miso aioli. Please go and order this even though you be tempted to order differently. Like I was initially. But you'll be pleasantly surprised. 
 2. Since we were at an oyster bar - sitting at the oyster bar, we ordered oysters. Two rounds of them. With 26 total. And all were devoured. I favored the Sun Hallow variety as I'm loving west coast oysters these days. The oysters were accompanied by the GT cocktail sauce (a slightly thicker version) and a ponzu mignonette (which I primarily used).



3. As a treat, the oysters arrived with a glass of the Ingrid Gross gemischter satz from Vienna, which I may now prefer with oysters over champagne. I'll have to go back and investigate further. 


4. The guys next to us shared a few bottles of red wine and among other dishes - the lobster roll - which was a miss on our part as it looked, and I hear is, awesome. I'll also go back for this. 

5. The other standout was the sweet corn creme brûlée. Perfectly creamy and topped with lightly toasted meringue and dried corn. The dessert makes you think summer isn't ending. I'm a creme brûlée purist but this variation is great in my book. 



I hope you enjoyed your Indian summer Sunday. No matter where you are.

xo
Your friend,
Caroline





No comments:

Post a Comment