Saturday, January 27, 2018

Arbella

The scene for a recent third date was Arbella - a globally inspired cocktail bar and street food spot in River North, from the team of its neighbor, Tanta.

It was a cold Friday night and Arbella was packed. I arrived at 8:30 and was told to meet my date in the back, past the curtains.

I walked past the packed bar and through the mesh curtains to find a second -- less crowded -- bar.

Perfect for a Friday night after a long week.

The bartender held seats for us from exiting patrons (thank you, if you're reading this) and we settled in with the Smokey the Bear cocktail, for me, and The Gentlemen's Agreement for him. Well, that was the intent.


Known for its creative cocktail list and presentation - my Smokey the Bear cocktail was served in an unbearably (pun intended) cute way. It was concocted and then presented in a glass honey bottle in the shape of a bear which was poured in a rocks glass.

The Smokey the Bear was good but carried a big kick, thanks to habanero paired with Mezcal and yellow chartreuse. While I'm not a fan of that much spice, I mostly enjoyed The Gentlemen's Agreement, which they call a combination of an old fashioned and a Manhattan.

For the next round I ordered Numpty's Choice for the scotch and Cynar -- a nod to my recent trip to Italy -- while he ordered the Rising Sun with Japanese Whiskey and Campari. Both were good and watching the bartender create the drinks was equally entertaining.


I'll definitely return to Arbella for both the cocktails and to try the street food. I'll head straight back to the darker more mysterious section. And, you should, too.

Cheers, friends.
xo.
Caroline









No comments:

Post a Comment