Saturday, March 10, 2018

La Storia.

As a Chicago resident, you learn where the best fireplaces are--whatever it takes to brave the sub-zero temperature--and La Storia has one of the best.

I met T one Saturday night for drinks at the cozy bar before dinner.

We both ordered the San Martino cocktail of bourbon, amaro and aperol to take the chill out of our bones as we settled into the evening. Their fireplace warms the soul and small bar that only has a handful of tables and even fewer bar stools. We were lucky to have a spot at the front window where we chatted and watched the world go by. 


La Storia's intimate bar continues to be one of my favorite spots in the city, especially this time of year. I hear their patio is spectacular in the summer. :: Insert day dream about sundresses, sunglasses and drinking mimosas whilst sitting in the sun. :: And back to the cold, harsh reality. Literally. 

We were later seated in the quintessential Chicago-style dining room with heavy wood and red accents. Led by the sommelier we opted for a fantastic super Tuscan that I wish I could remember - because I'd like to buy a case of it. 


For dinner T ordered the caprese salad with heirloom tomatoes that was artistically designed and I had the grilled octopus salad with fennel, sunchoke and sunflower. If I see grilled octopus on any menu, I'm ordering it. Just ask my friends at Osteria in Philadelphia and they'll tell you I always order their octopus salad.

For our pasta course, T had the rigatoni and I ordered the gnocchi. 

Unfortunately for T, I couldn't keep my fork out of the rigatoni. While the gnocchi was ridiculously light and amazing with the truffles and pillowy texture, I preferred the rigatoni for the crispy lamb sausage. 

Capping off the La Storia portion of the evening, we ordered the cannoli and espresso. The espresso was great but I finished my glass of wine for dessert. Although, I might have snagged a bite or two of the pistachio cannoli. 

I'm currently craving the pasta dishes we had and it's highly likely that you'll find me at the bar with a plate of pasta and attempting to find which wine we had, glass by glass, bottle by bottle. 

When you go to La Storia get the San Martino cocktail and any of the pastas. And if you try a pizza, please report back as I've really not met a pizza I don't like. 

xo, 
Your Friend, Caroline


No comments:

Post a Comment