Saturday, March 24, 2018

National Cocktail Day.

Hi friends,
National Cocktail Day follows National Puppy Day. And, I think the timing is pretty fitting for this post.

To celebrate the former, I'm sharing four of my favorite cocktails from around the world and around the corner.


1. The Serendipity at The Bar Hemingway. The Ritz, Paris. 

Standing at 30 euro, this drink is a treat. And I think it's worth every euro because the experience wraps a few of my favorite things into one. Here's why:

Serendipity is a favorite word of mine - meaning a happy accident or finding something you needed when you weren't looking - which is how I try to experience my time in Paris and my life in general. When I saw the drink on the menu in the tiny, iconic bar in Paris, I ordered it.

The cocktail, that's a better version of a mojito, has fresh mint, calvados (apple brandy from Normandy), apple juice and champagne (it is Paris after all). I may have purchased a bottle of calvados just to make this drink and sit on my patio during the hot Chicago summer.

But, what I really love about going to The Bar Hemingway is its storied past. F. Scott Fitzgerald had a favorite seat here and the eponymous writer was a regular during his time in Paris.

Fun fact: The menu itself is available for purchase for 5 euro. On our way out, I was gifted two. One is framed and now hangs in my office. I can't say enough about this beautiful spot that we ended up visiting through an act of serendipity itself. If you find yourself in Paris, go to The Bar Hemingway for one drink. Maybe you'll share the same seat as F. Scott Fitzgerald or Ernest Hemingway.

À votre santé.


2. The  Bellini at Harry's Bar. Venice. 
When in Venice your visit should include a stop at this national landmark. The classic cocktail served and invented at Harry's Bar is the Bellini with simple white peach puree and topped with prosecco. The small restaurant is a cozy place for a quick drink or a chance to dry off if you've been wandering Venice in the rain like we were. It's also worth noting carpaccio was invented at Harry's Bar as well.

Saluti. 


3. The San Martino cocktail. La Storia, Chicago.
You may have seen this cocktail appear before in the blog. It's worth repeating for National Cocktail Day as it remains one of my favorite drinks in Chicago namely in the winter for its depth and booziness. It's a perfect pre-dinner drink at the Michelin-rated restaurant. A perfect evening for me is spent at La Storia with someone I can share stories with, sitting by the window and drinking the San Martinos.



 4. The Franklin Room Old Fashioned. The Franklin Room, Chicago. 
When someone asks me who has the best old fashioned in Chicago, The Franklin Room is my only answer. Their version has Angels Envy rye, Demerara, angostura, orange bitters and cheery bark vanilla bitters. It's great. I only order this when I go. That's what you should do, too.
 
The other old fashioned to rival The Franklin Room is at Vedge in Philadelphia. And the next time I'm back in my old stomping grounds, I'll go and snap a picture for next year's National Cocktail Day. 

I'm not having a cocktail this evening but when I do, I'll think of the other patients at the ER vet who walked out without their dogs tonight. I'm lucky, my dog is a lover -- of squeaky tennis balls that got her into this mess -- and not a fighter. Well, I guess we both are. She'll be fine and the laceration could have been much, much worse and for that, I'm eternally grateful. If you have a dog, hug yours a bit tighter because every day should be National Puppy Day. It is in my house.

Cheers friends, wherever you are drinking in the world.
xo.

Your friend,
Caroline






No comments:

Post a Comment