Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day.

Hi friends - especially moms, new moms, moms to be and everyone who has a mom.

New York Magazine wrote a profile on Mindy Kaling, formerly of The Office and now The Mindy Project.

I read this piece a few months ago and the below excerpt has stayed with me...and probably always will. I thought it was appropriate on this day and I wanted to share it with you.

"My relationship with my mom is really the single most profound relationship that I’ve ever had in my life," Mindy tells me...But her voice breaks when she starts talking about how she sat down with a pen and paper and asked her mother to give her all the advice she could possibly give her before she died, and Kaling realized she’d never be able to ask her mother for advice again. “I said to her, ‘Mom, I’m going to be so lonely without you.’” She’s crying now but keeps going. “And she just said, ‘You have to be your own best friend. If you always remember that, you will always have someone there with you.’”

I'm fortunate to have a great mom who I talk to daily, if not hourly, some days. She is the reason why I am who I am. She is the reason why I swam throughout my entire life, the reason why I have an Airedale, the reason why I am a writer, the reason why I am easily amused.

She's the reason I have a positive outlook on life. The reason why I absolutely cannot sleep in. The reason why I have to give my future children the most magical Christmas. I wouldn't have it any other way.

One day,  if I'm lucky, I hope to have the very same relationship with a daughter of my own. The same relationship my mom had with my grandmother. This is one heirloom I want to pass along.


Thank you, mom, for everything. For putting up with me throughout my teenage years, for happily carting me to and from swim practice at 5 a.m., for dealing with my antics and sass during the past 34 years, for being the best shopping partner, and for always being there for me when I want to tell you something great, something funny or when I just need a hug. For being my relentless cheerleader. For your ear and your shoulder. For teaching me to always make my bed first, when I move somewhere new so I know I have somewhere to sleep. For teaching me that a cup of tea and a good night's rest can fix pretty much everything. And above all, for always believing that everything happens for a reason.

You deserve the best day and I cannot wait to see you in a few weeks!

All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
– Oscar Wilde

And now, I had better start thinking about my Father's Day post...
Your friend,
Caroline
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for that beautiful tribute...I LOVE being your mom!

    ReplyDelete